Friday, 11 March 2016

Correggio and Parmigianino exhibition in Rome

From Saturday (until 26 June) the Scuderie del Quirinale will host the exhibition "Correggio and Parmigianino: Art in Parma in the sixteenth century." Through a selection of masterpieces from the most important museums in the world, the exhibition compares the paths of two absolute stars of the Italian Renaissance, Antonio Allegri called Correggio (1489-1534) and Francesco Mazzola called Parmigianino (1503-1540) . Thanks to the formidable talent of these two artists, the city of Parma became the beginning of the sixteenth century, an artistic center able to fully compete with the great Italian art capitals like Rome, Florence and Venice.




The Scuderie del Quirinale (Quirinal Stables, also called Papal Stables) was built over ten years, from 1722 to 1732 . The Scuderie, together with the Palazzo del Quirinale (Quirinal Palace – official residence of the President of the Italian Republic) and the Palazzo della Consulta (Constitutional Court – originally a villa built upon the ruins of the Baths of Constantine and adapted by Sixtus V as a civil and criminal court), make up a stunning urban space. At the center of the spacious piazza between these three buildings stands an obelisk – moved from nearby the Mausoleum of Augustus in the eighteenth century – atop a fountain and the famous statues of the Dioscuri (the two gigantic Roman marble “Horse Tamers”, Castor and Pollux).The Scuderie stands next to the Colonna gardens and on top of the archeological remains of the great Roman Temple of Serapide – some of which are still visible. The building covers approximately 3000 square meters , over several floors. Wide-open spaces on the second and third floors house the exhibitions. A cafeteria is situated on the mezzanine level and a bookstore, a giftshop and special areas dedicated to exhibition-related initiatives are all on the ground floor.Visit the Scuderie del Quirinale: what a view! 180° of beauty from the highest of Rome 's Seven Hills. The great window, designed by Gae Aulenti as part of an overall restoration of the Scuderie del Quirinale, is one of the site's main attractions.From Piazza Venezia's Victor Emanuel Monument (also known as "Vittoriano" or "Altare della Patria") to the many church domes - in the distance you can even see Saint Peter's – and from the rooftops of the city's historic center to the green backdrop of the Gianicolo Monte Mario and Pincio hills... hundreds of surprises await the visitor as he or she admires the city from on high.

From Penthouse Apartment Monteverde Rome take bus H direction Termini for 11 stops and then walk for 300 meters.